Disclosure Policy

Thursday, July 21, 2011

What is a "Real" Housewife?

The other day I was watching a popular show called the Real Housewives of New York. After watching it for awhile, I became a little uneasy. Maybe I should say the candid phrase I often use: "I felt some kind of way."

These women called themselves housewives but never did any housework. As a housewife, I take pride in keeping my home, spending time with my children and taking care of my husband. The show leads you to believe that in order to be a "real" housewife you have to be this socialite, gossip with friends about friends and spend a lot of money. Yes, I know it's entertainment. Will I watch again? Yes. I'm just hoping that woman aren't getting caught up in the hype of the lifestyles of the rich and famous.  I hope that there is not a small feeling inside that wishes for that life.

From what is shown on the show, most of their lives are empty. They're really not happy with their life. They are spending their entire existence trying to convince everyone that they are. Everyone is trying to keep up with everyone. When "everyone" really wants everyone to just RELAX!
 
I believe the "Real Housewife" can be found in Proverbs 31. She's a woman that has character. Her husband trusts and believes in her. She doesn't talk badly about him, but on the contrary lifts him up always. She wakes early before her family to set everything in place. She ensures that they have everything they need to start their day off right. She's a business woman that uses her earning to better her family. She gives to the needy. She's a woman that knows what to say and when silence is needed. But most of all she loves the Lord.

Intimidating? I'd say. This chick rocks! But I'd aspire to be her any day. She is the picture of the model housewife. Instead of being highlighted, nowadays she's overlooked. Our current culture has skewed the awesome role of housewife to a subserviant maid and daycare provider. Not so! This is THE BEST job I've ever had and I'm awesome at it because this is what I was made to do. Arrogant? No, I'm a REAL Housewife.

4 comments:

  1. These chicks call themselves "housewives" because that's what they are...simply women that stay at home and invest (reads SPEND!) their absent husbands' money during the series. "I have a wife at home" but nothing more. Most of these women have men/big daddies that can afford for them to stay at home and do nothing, which in turn they have to spend their time doing SOMETHING! Let's spend money for causes/charities that we create to give us some self worth, and write it all off on our taxes! YAAAYYY! I'm not a housewife anymore, I'm a somebody! I'z Speyshull!

    So yeah, I agree with you, the term doesn't stick well; maybe there should be a new term. I'm not up on Mrs. Proverbs 31 (shame on me!) but she sounds cool! How about "Life Enhancer", or "Family Coach?" "Destroyer Of All Things That Discourage My Family!" DOATTDMF? Nah, I'll keep working on that...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go girl!!!! I'm a little behind on reading them but you got me with your blogs. I'm no longer a wife but I still strive to be that Proverbs 31 woman. That is what GOD made me to be, with or without a husband I am still striving and HE is still blessing my family. HE is our sole provider....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome blog, we should all aspire to be that Proverbs 31 woman. God bless!!!

    Karla

    ReplyDelete