Disclosure Policy

Monday, November 21, 2011

One of my pet peeves...

So one of my biggest pet peeves is when parents stop using car seats on children too early. Having 3 kids myself, I understand the labor involved in strapping kids in properly. More importantly I understand these safety measures are protecting my children. Here is a list of the issues that really bother me regarding child safety seats:
  1. Infant Car Seats: If I am able to move the base of your infant car seat from side to side, it is not in properly. The base should not move at all. It should also be grounded with the tether system. Those are those extra straps that many people just throw in the hole where the seat belt goes.  According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), 3 out of 4 car seats are improperly installed.
  2.  Rear-Facing or Not: Children should be rear facing until they are 1 year old and weigh at least 20 lbs. I'm sorry if little James has long legs, cross them at his ankles and he will be okay and a lot safer. 
  3. Booster Seat Start: Most booster seats are made for children weighing 40 lbs or more. Stop putting your 4 year old that weighs 30 lbs in a booster seat. That booster seat was not designed for their weight. Safety first!
  4. Booster Seat End: According to MD state law (where I live, so it's the state I'll quote) every child under 8 years old must ride in an appropriate child restraint unless the child is 4 feet, 9 inches or taller, or weighs more than 65 pounds. So if your 10 year old weighs 60 lbs, they need to be in a booster seat. They will not think it's cool, but who's the parent? 
  5. No Seat Belt At All: According to MD state law, every child 8 and above who is not secured in a child restraint must be secured in a vehicle seat belt. It's not okay for a child to be leaning from the back on the middle console talking to you.
These things sound really simple, but there are too many people that are not properly restraining their children. It doesn't matter if you are going on a road trip or around the corner to the store, please be responsible. These measures have been set in place to protect your child. Still not moved to see if your child is in the correct safety seat? Well let me ask you this, are ready to be the blame of their death in the event of an accident?

No comments:

Post a Comment